11 January 2010
Hope you're enjoying the freshened up blog look (if you're reading via Bloglines or some such, that's your cue to click on through!).
It's a byproduct of trying to switch my commenting system without loosing close to 5 years of comments that were created via Haloscan. Sadly it appears doomed to failure at the moment, but if a long overdue spruce up of the blog is a necessary byproduct then it's not all totally bad. Now I just need to give my bloglines and links a good pruning.
On another up note (I'm back to work tomorrow, so I need a few up notes) I zested and juiced quite a few lemons today (kind of subtle link there to what I think of the latest in blog commenting systems?), and this afternoon C helped to smash up cookies to make some lemon slice. Delicious (and a good baking option when it's a scorchingly hot, as it was here today). As follows:
1. Smash up a packet of Marie biscuits (or Milk Arrowroot or some other plain-ish sweet biscuit), and mix with 1 cup of shredded coconut.
2. Melt 125g butter together with 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan, stirring until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour butter mix into biscuit mix and combine, then press into a slice tray lined with baking paper (I think ours is about 28cm x 20cm or something like that).
4. Refrigerate for an hour.
5. Make icing with about 1cup pure icing sugar, 1tbsp melted butter, juice and zest of 1 lemon. I suggest adding the butter and zest first to the icing sugar, and then mix in as much juice as you need to get a nice spreading consistency.
6. Spread icing on chilled slice, then refrigerate for another hour before cutting into desired sized slices.
(Sticking it in the freezer for 20 mins works as a good substitute for an hour in the fridge if you're pressed for time!)
(Sorry, didn't think to take a pic of the finished product, but being as there is a whole tray and only two of us who like it in this house, maybe I'll manage to catch one before they've all been gobbled up)