26 July 2010
A couple of months ago (or so, I think) I started knitting C a vest. His Pembroke vest from last winter was much too small (a stretch around his girth, and too short too). Hopefully this one is roomy enough we'll get a bit more wear out of it.
I used yarn at hand, leftovers of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed (colour Bark) from the Cobblestone that I finished (and am still yet to photograph and blog about) for Scott the week (or thereabouts) before.
I looked at toddler vests on Ravelry, but decided to make up my own pattern- a modified version of the Baby Kaftan pattern by Debbie Bliss. I knitted this for C when he was smaller, and loved the pattern (although not the embroidery)- the keyhole neck, and the simplicity that lent it to an almost seamless (when sleeveless) garment, and the narrow garter edging. I did consider another Pembroke (I do love that pattern still) but I thought the tweedy nature of the yarn wouldn't show off the effort in the cables. And somehow re-calculating a plain pattern to different yarn and larger size seemed more mindless than dealing with cables.
It took me longer than it should have to knit. I blame that on the vagaries of pregnancy, which seems to have sapped nearly all of my creative urges. C seemed very keen to get it finished, and spent a good five minutes "knitting" on the sofa (while I was being slack).
It's already been pressed into service, without blocking. The bottom hem keeps on rolling up but I made it a little bit extra long, so that's not a problem (the blocking can wait until it needs it's first wash).