We've been reading a few monster related stories lately. Monster Day at Work (love the illustrations and the last page in particular), Leonardo the Terrible Monster (which really does show that if you're terrible at doing something you may yet find something else you can be wonderful at), and of course, Where the Wild Things Are. The fact that I managed to bawl my eyes out watching the movie the other week hasn't lessened my love for this book, and our own little wild thing seems to love it so too. He is also presently obsessed with dressing up, and making up wild and imaginative tales to go along with his outfits, so some monster claws were needed.
It was just what I needed to encourage me reacquaint myself with my sewing machine. We rummaged through the scraps box and came up with some grey fleece and some spotted cotton. To make them I traced around his mittens as the base pattern (although it would have been a good idea to pay attention to the direction of the stretch when I cut them out), and fused two scraps of cotton together with some heavy weight Heat'n'Bond, and cut it into triangles to make the claws. They're simply sewn into the side seam. Seriously quick project and we now have a very satisfied Monster in residence. (When he's not being a Viking. Or a Mountain climber. Or a fairy queen. You get the general idea...)
After that little exercise the sewing machine is now off for a service (need to get it done before the next craft weekend) and I'm keeping an eye out for other simple dress up box ideas, like Pinry's Knight's outfit, or Melissa's beautiful wings in Small.
*edited to add the wings link which I must have accidentally deleted.