The Kids Clothes Week Challenge has been a busy week. I'm really glad I signed up for this, because I know I wouldn't have been as motivated, and achieved as much as I have without it. It's really helped me to focus.
I warmed up with a couple of easy peasy additions to the dress-up box last weekend- a fake fur animal tail, and some bat wings (inspired by Melissa's beautiful butterfly wings in Small, but even simpler- just some black stretch fabric edged on the overlocker). Perhaps I'll be able to get a clear photo of them in action one day...
Then on I settled in for the real work.
Step 1: perusing the pattern stash and tracing off some new patterns. I had a few things I'd been wanting to try out, but some of them C has already grown too big for, so I'll have to save them for the next offspring. There was still plenty in my pattern collection try out though, in addition to a couple tried and tested patterns that were worth re-making for summer.
Step 2: perusing the fabric stash. Tempting as it would have been to dash off to Tessuti for some new fabrics, I wanted to work from the stash (having just received a large traffic fine in the mail... darn...).
Step 3: cutting out. I thought it would be more productive if I could get a few things ready to go, so that when I sat down in the evening to sew I could just get on with the making side of things. I spent my one free afternoon of the week cutting out.
Step 4: get sewing. The stack of cut pieces is now starting to shrink. First cab off the ranks, a sunhat, same pattern as this one, from Nicole Mallalieu designs. More details here. Of course C wants to wear it with the lining side out, which is fine (although I had to add a few seams into in order to get it out of the fat quarter of cute animal fabric), and friends who saw it today have put in a request for one for their large headed lass. One of the benefits of home sewing- being able to make it in the size or fabric you want, not having to make do with what some manufacturer thinks will sell.