1. Growing a bigger baby bump. Yes, it continues to grow, and like last time there are no signs that this baby is likely to arrive early. It could even be in the new year. Time will tell. At least I'm feeling more relaxed now, enjoying the calm before the storm, with most things ticked off the to-do list and those few things remaining not being particularly critical. (Although it might be good to watch the TENS dvd instructions again just so that it's fresh in my mind...)
2. Building up a stash of baby gifts. It's not just me having a baby at this daft time of year. In some strange feat of synchronization I have 4 close friends, plus my hairdresser and my masseuse (well a friend's masseuse who I am privileged to have also received several massages from on Craft Camp), plus a friend's sister, all producing babies this December and January (the latter being twins). So I figured some bib making and baby shoe making (shoes using this pattern) needed to be done quickly or it wouldn't be happening at all.
3. Spending some quality time with family. Even more important for us this year than it is usually is, given that mum is undergoing major surgery tomorrow morning, and will be spending the remainder of the Christmas period in hospital. There is no good time for major surgery, but it has (quite aside from pregnancy distractions and the resulting pointlessness of making any firm christmas plans) put something of a dampener on our usual celebrations. We aren't tucking into mum's usual christmas baking treats (Snowball shortbreads, Nanimo bars and Christmas cake) or her usual Christmas eve dinner of glazed ham with salads. But we have shared some lovely relaxed time together, and enjoyed a pre-christmas dinner out at a favorite local restaurant. That will do for now.
4. Handsewing some felt birds for a baby mobile. Now to find two perfect branches and to figure out how to attach them and make it balance.
5. Sewing a spur of the moment scooter bag for my son, inspired by the sight of a couple of fat 16ths of Echino scooter fabric when I indulged in some retail therapy at Patchwork on Central Park last week. Not a project that was on the to-do list at all, but sometimes it's nice to be able to go with the flow, to follow an urge, and make a quick, simple, easy project (being greeted with glee by the recipient makes it all the more satisfying).
6. Ignoring the fact that it's my birthday on Saturday. One of those ones that ends in a zero. I'm thinking I'll ignore it and have a"Birthday in July" next year, when I can enjoy more than a sip of champagne. Perhaps. If I can be bothered. Perhaps it's time to stop counting them?
7. Cooking up some sweet treats to share with a friend who has strict dietary needs due to her (breastfed) baby's allergies. Since she cut eggs and wheat out of her diet his eczema has improved out of sight. Miraculously, Salted caramel popcorn with pecans is permissible on the diet. Lucky for those of us who get to eat the leftovers. I made a half batch, which didn't work out quite as it should have -I think I cooked the caramel too long- but it was none-the-less delicious and very hard to stop munching once you got started. Perhaps that's why I'm still growing....