7 November 2011
The other week I made a batch of buttermilk scones that, due to omission of a key ingredient on my part, was an impressive failure (kind of like half baked home made play dough cakes). So I immediately set about making a second batch. They were a satisfying success.
I am hoping for similar turn around in other second attempts around here.
There are the jumbo snaps and buttons (above) I'm going to remove and reposition on my NY Cape (on opposite sides of the front, so left laps over right). And then I'll probably be putting it in the cupboard until next winter. But at least come Autumn one of us will have a warm outer layer that fits, ready to wear.
On the knitting front, my Korrigan has been completely frogged (having completed the yoke) and is being knitted again with larger needles (from my new Symphonie interchangable set)
There's a second planting of corn, direct in ground, not pre-soaked (aka drowned) and planted in toilet rolls as last time. Probably way too late in the season, but we're after baby corn so I'm hoping we'll get to eat some fruit from them.
And this morning A is finally having her "morning" nap post an early lunch. Clearly today was the day when pre-nap feed was in order. She must be gearing up for another growth spurt. Hope the summer clothes I'm sewing for her won't need to be made over again too...
PS, the scones are really, really good. Great to make with kids. I substitute 75g spreading butter for the fat component, which is easy to work into the flour and always on hand. I also made them one day with milk and a splash of vinegar in lieu of buttermilk, and that worked fine too. They're not too sweet (we had them with soup for lunch one day) and can be frozen. 25secs in our microwave defrosts and warms one to perfection for moments when you need a quick snack.