13 January 2013
This week I shunned anything I could in lieu of pattern sorting, cutting and sewing. So it was a productive week: project list revised, a couple of projects cut out, new patterns purchased and (much inspired by Suzy's efforts) new cotton pyjamas made for both kids.
For A: Two pairs of PJ pants and a kimono style PJ top
Fabric: Some woven striped cotton that has been in my stash for a very long time. Long enough that I can't recall where I got it from, although I can recall I was planning to make myself a striped shirt, but I couldn't quite get over how pink it was. The floral binding on the top and pant hems was scraps of a Spotlight "Japanese Lawn" used for a dress for A about 15 months ago.
Pattern: Top- Habitual Kimono top, size 4T. Pants- Modified length version of a basic toddler pants pattern in my pattern stash, from one of the Japanese pattern books I have (not sure which).
Modifications etc: First time trying out the Habitual top. So easy and simple. I tweaked it by cutting a curve on the underarm. Seamed on the overlocker this was all quick to whip up. The bulk of time was in finishing- floral bindings and threading elastic- I like to use two rows of narrow (8mm) elastic on toddler jammies. There is plenty of room in this set for A to grow (as evidenced by the fact that her brother can fit into the pants!)
For C: finished off PJ pants that were cut out last November at Sewjourn.
Fabric: Pure cotton fabric he picked out at Spotlight in October.
Pattern: Oliver & S Sleepover Pyjamas, Size 7 (altered and simplified).
Modifications etc: The Sleepover pattern is great, even though it was completely dumbed down in this version. I made a full set in November (top and pants) in the same fabric, but with the ghosts up the right way. Had one of those *doh* moments when I realised after cutting out the second pair of pants that the print was upside down, but never mind. Knowing size 7 would be roomy and C doesn't like really baggy pants, I cut the pants narrower than the pattern (which also meant I could get two pairs of pants plus the top from the fabric I had). I also omitted the cuff on this pair knowing that the first pair had enough length for a lot of growth.